Q. How do I overcome porn addiction?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I am watching porn videos for the past two years. I used to watch it once in a week and now it has become addiction. My mind wants to see it. I masturbate along watching porn videos. My reading concentration is now weak . I want to get rid of watching porn videos . Friends also watch, so my mind says let us watch . I want some help to get rid of this and my mind always thinks about sexual things. Please guide me how to get my life back and study well. Thank you.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• After going though your history, it is apparent that you are suffering from porn addiction. To overcome this, you can follow some techniques.
  • Any addiction gives pleasure by increasing dopamine levels in the pleasure centers of your brain. You need to find some healthy ways of stimulating your pleasure center.
  • This include any physical activity like cycling, jogging, swimming or gym. Do it daily for at least half an hour daily. Gradually you will find getting the same pleasure from these activities that you otherwise get from watching porn.
  • Do deep breathing techniques like the 4-7-8 technique which you can find on the internet. Practice it for a minute 4-5 times in the day and also when you feel the urge to watch porn. It will relax you and a relaxed mind is more able to resist urges.
  • Develop a hobby which you enjoy doing and indulge in it. There might not be any productivity out of it, but it gives you a sense of mastery and pleasure. If possible, indulge in it when you feel the urge to watch porn.
  • Note down every time that you are able to resist or postpone the urge to watch porn. Make a record and reward yourself for your achievements every week in proportion to your achievements that week.
  • Do not quit or criticize yourself because you fail the first time or you end up watching it despite your attempts.
  • Overcoming any addiction is a process, does not happen overnight and it needs repeated attempts and perseverance to be successful.
  • Remember that reducing the frequency and time spent in watching porn or delaying it in terms of days is also a success and appreciate yourself for your efforts.
  • One day at a time remember that you have to resist the impulse only for today. You might give into it tomorrow and apply the same logic when tomorrow comes. Such behavior is frequently the mind's way of treating its own depression or anxiety.
  • If you are feeling sad or worried these days, it is better to seek help from a psychiatrist or a psychologist.
  • If you feel that despite following these tips, you are not able to resist and you have exams, you can consult a psychiatrist.
  • There are medicines like Sertraline or Paroxetine which will reduce your craving for watching porn. Take care.

1. Major depressive disorder.
2. Generalised anxiety disorder(GAD)

Hypersexual disorder (porn addiction).

Revert back for further information to a psychologist counsellor online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|