Q. When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Dr. Shakti Mishra

I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?

#

• The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises.
  1. Non-weight bearing movements should be done for 1 to 2 weeks. Active movements should be performed while sitting on the bed.
  2. Partial weight-bearing movements should be done with support at and around the bed. It should be done for 3 to 4 weeks.
  3. Full weight-bearing movements should be started at five weeks. It should be initiated with walking around the room.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|