Q. When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Published on Aug 17, 2017

I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

• The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises.
  1. Non-weight bearing movements should be done for 1 to 2 weeks. Active movements should be performed while sitting on the bed.
  2. Partial weight-bearing movements should be done with support at and around the bed. It should be done for 3 to 4 weeks.
  3. Full weight-bearing movements should be started at five weeks. It should be initiated with walking around the room.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Why does my mother-in-law refuse to walk even with help?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is 93 years old and had her hip replacement done before five years. She could walk after that, but we have kept a lady to be with her for 24 hours a day and 365 days a year after the operation. She does not have diabetes or has any heart condition. She takes one tablet of...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. If I am not wrong, I understand that she has some neurological issue for which she is on medicines. Also, she is elderly. These can explain the swinging of the neck. Lack of energy or strength in her legs might also be a cause for her to sit dow...  Read Full

What is the treatment for slipped capital femoral epiphysis?

Query: Hello doctor, Avascular necrosis was caused by a slipped capital femoral epiphysis of the left hip in a 12-year-old girl. What is the treatment apart from hip replacement? I need help. My daughter is in the middle of a bridge.  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. AVN (avascular necrosis) in pediatric patients requires injection Zoledronic acid (single dose per year for three years) in specific doses which is lower than adult doses depending upon the weight of the child. This treatment seems to work in my practice and avoids a h...  Read Full

Easy Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis (OA)

Article Overview: This article talks briefly about knee osteoarthritis and stresses on how you can benefit from special physiotherapy exercises for the knee. Read Article

Dr. Ankita Sharma
Physiotherapist

Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventually, loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age, the common age group of onset being 40 to 50 years. Osteoarthritis is referred to as degenerative joint diseases (DJD). Oste...  Read Article

Ask a Physiotherapist Now