Q. I am 16 years old. I have got pimples. What should I do?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak
Published on Oct 18, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 13, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am 16 years old. I have got pimples. What should I do?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Firstly, you need to consult a dermatologist nearby to assess the grade and severity of acne.

• If acne is mild then, topical anti-acne creams like Clindamycin, Adapalene, etc, will help.
  • If acne is severe then, oral medicines like Azithromycin/ Doxycycline with or without Isotretinoin is started along with anti-acne creams.

As a general treatment measure:

1. Use a face wash for oily skin like AHAglow or Cetaphil as a cleanser to wash your face.
  2. Apply Clindamycin gel in the morning and Adapalene gel at night over the acne lesions.
  3. If having blackheads or whiteheads, get these removed.
  4. Avoid squeezing pimples as it will leave marks.

Follow these above measures for two weeks to see how much response you get. If the acne is of mild grade then, it will respond. But if it is of severe grade then, oral medicine will be required.

Hope this helped. Take care.

Revert back to a dermatologist online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

What Is Acne Vulgaris?

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Some individuals have an inherent tendency of having hyperactive sebaceous glands, this is one of the risk fact...  Read Article

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Adult Acne: A Common Problem

Article Overview: Adult acne is more common nowadays with changes in lifestyle and the use of various cosmetic products. The treatment of adult acne is a challenge for many dermatologists and is also frustrating for the patients. Understanding the cause of adult acne helps establish a better strategy for the prevention and treatment of adult acne. Read Article

Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Acne is very common in the teenage group. But, when we have acne as an adult, it is very frustrating. The Acne treatment which worked in adolescent age can be useless or even worsen the condition. Many people wonder 'do adults get acne?'. Yes, adults can get acne. Some continue to get acne in their ...  Read Article