Q. My hip pain resembles piriformis syndrome. What should I do?

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Published on Jul 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 22, 2019

I am experiencing some pain in my left buttock that travels down my leg and cause a feeling of numbness and tingling in my left leg. I do not experience any pain in my lower back. It is only that after prolonged sitting, I start feeling pain in my left hip that travels down the left leg. I consulted a doctor, and he told that a disc in my lower spine is pinching a nerve that causes the pain to radiate from my hips towards my leg. I searched my symptoms and found that the pain resembled much of piriformis syndrome. What should I do?

#

As the doctor you consulted is right. These symptoms can be caused due to a slipped disc. To confirm this and we may need to take up an MRI of the lumbar spine. Also, the piriformis syndrome symptoms are similar, but they are not radiating in symptoms as piriformis muscle tightness may lead to compression over the nerve root and can misguide the diagnosis.

Having an MRI scan will be of the right decision. Post which if there is no disc disease is noticed than another differential diagnosis has to be made and treated accordingly. Please take an MRI scan and let us know the reports. I will help you further with the therapeutic plan.

| 

I have chest soreness and radiating pain.Is this due to pleurisy or costochondritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old, otherwise healthy (as far as I know) female. I was a smoker earlier. No history of heart disease. My mother has COPD, but has been a long time smoker.  Two and a half weeks ago, I went on a hayride with my sons. I have a short stature. To get on and off the hayrid...  Read Full »

My right hip pains while doing certain leg movement. How to reduce the pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34-year-old male. My right hip pains when moving the leg in specific positions (best explained in a few photos). Need help in identifying what muscle or tendons are affected so I can move forward with a correct stretching. I suspect a few problems but need an expert opinion. I ...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now