Q. Do the minor rashes in my torso resemble mycosis fungoides?

Dr. Dilip Meena

I am having a few minor rashes around my torso for the past few weeks. It started with two patches on my upper middle back, about an inch in diameter each. Then I noticed little round red patches popping up, about 1 cm in diameter. The ones on my back are pretty faint red or pink patches, a bit dry and scaly, and the rashes around my trunk are small, red, and do not appear dry. But, none of them is itchy or painful. I treated myself with OTC Hydrocortisone cream and Clotrimazole cream, as well as E45 dermatological cream, for a few weeks. Then saw a dermatologist who prescribed Eumovate cream, which did a good job clearing it up within a couple of weeks. After stopping for a few days, though, they came back, which the dermatologist warned me could happen, and to try reducing the frequency of the Eumovate cream over time. That is all fine, but he was not able to say what the cause was. He thought maybe nummular eczema. I had a couple of patches like the little 1 cm red ones a few years ago, treated with various creams, eventually resolved after about three months. I have been very stressed lately. I searched online and found out about mycosis fungoides. Does it present like this, and would it respond like this to the treatment of Eumovate cream? Thank you.

Lab tests performed:

The syphilis test was negative.

#

I understand your concern. But there are no attached photographs in your message.

Kindly send a picture of the affected area to assess the condition and suggest the appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Take care.

I have attached a picture from quite early as the patches now are very faint after using the cream. Please help.

#

Thank you for sharing the pictures. The description coupled with the image (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) you have sent indicates Pityriasis rosea, a relatively benign skin condition. The cause is usually unknown but can follow upper respiratory viral infections sometimes.

It commonly affects the torso and proximal parts of extremities. It starts with a rather sizeable oval patch which is scaly at the periphery. That is known as Herald patch, for it is the starting lesion.

It then follows by relatively more minor oval patches over the trunk and proximal arms. The lesions are usually asymptomatic. However, if seen from a distance on the back, the lesions are arranged in an inverted V pattern. Condition is self-limiting and subsides within a few weeks.

Use some moisturizer for now and can use Mometasone cream if redness is too much.

Eumovate cream (Clobetasone butyrate) is too mild for thick torso skin, in my opinion.

It does not look like any variant of Mycosis fungoides.

It shall subside soon as it has already been six weeks.

Take care.

As long as it is undoubtedly not Mycosis fungoides, I am not too worried; as I say, it is asymptomatic and just reddish.

The Eumovate cream does seem to reduce the redness, at least temporarily, so I will resume with that until I run out.

Thanks.

#

Yes, I understand that. However, it does not look like MF (Mycosis fungoides). And if redness is not much, keep using Eumovate (Clobetasone butyrate) cream. It should subside soon.

Take care.

|