Q. I have always had some spots on my arms brighter than the rest of my skin. What could it be?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I have always had some spots on my arms brighter than the rest of my skin, but they were very few and almost invisible. Two months before, I bought a body cream that I thought would make the skin even, but it had the opposite effect. The spots were not present on my legs before, but now they are. And the ones on my arms are obvious and all over my arms. There are no other symptoms besides this. The only thing I have been taking is multivitamins for hair, skin, and nails. And I barely use them. There is no itching, no dryness, no pain, and no redness. Just lighter, very tiny lighter patches all over. It is weird because it did not appear on my face or hands and feet. So, I do not know what to do.

#

I understand your concern. But there are no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest you the appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I understood and I will attach the photographs with it.

#

Thanks for the photographs (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

There can be a few differential diagnoses I can think of, such as pityriasis versicolor, lichen sclerosus et atrophicus, or it can also be physiological (normal) in some people.

Pityriasis versicolor, a kind of superficial fungal infection, is the most common. So it is only logical that one should treat it first. It also presents as perifollicular hypopigmentation on the trunk and sometimes on the extremities.

For this, you need to take the following medications:

1. Tablet Fluconazole 400 mg stat today and repeat after one week.

2. Cream Ketoconazole twice a day for one month.

Please remember that even if it is pityriasis versicolor, lesions take more than six weeks to disappear completely.

Take care.

Thank you for the reply.

Where can I find Flucanozole? Is it a pill? How many days should I take? You said repeat after a week, does that mean I should take one a week?

#

Yes, it is a pill. You need to take one tablet of 400 mg stat once and second tablet after one week. So total two times only. You can get it from online pharmacy and keep applying the cream for four to six weeks. Take care.

|