iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologypityriasis versicolorI have some nonpalpable spots on the skin. How can I get rid of them?

Why do I have a large patch on my neck that keeps spreading and changes color like dirt?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Infanteena Marily F.

Published At March 20, 2022
Reviewed AtSeptember 7, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have some nonpalpable spots on the skin, the majority of them are on the chest near the shoulder. I have a large patch that keeps spreading on my neck and changes color like dirt. It started two years ago. How can I get rid of it?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. This condition is known as pityriasis versicolor. It is a form of superficial fungal skin infection. The color of lesions can be dark or hyperpigmented, light or hypopigmented, red or erythematous. There are different colors like light brown or dark brown hence named pityriasis versicolor. These are usually asymptomatic and on rubbing the surface with a finger, one can see fine, white powdery scales. I suggest you the following treatment. Take Capsule Itraconazole 200 mg once a day for five days. Apply Nizoral (Ketoconazole) 2 % shampoo at the time of bath on lesions, you can leave for five minutes and then wash it off. Do it daily for one week and then twice per week for the next six weeks. The lesions usually take six to eight weeks to subside completely. Do take care of yourself. Hope this was helpful. Kindly revert for further queries. Regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena
Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy