Q. How to get relief from heel spurs?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

My mom, who is 52 years old, has developed a heel spur on both legs, which was discovered 6 months ago.  Sometimes, it pains a lot. She is currently on Proxym 200, Pantosec and Zelac-B. I have attached her x-ray for your reference. Please advise how to get relief and if any treatment needed.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

• You have mentioned and I can also see heel spurs on the x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • My suggestion is that if there is no associated swelling or skin redness, then start the following treatment with the consent of your doctor.
  1. Ice packs for local application three to four times in a day for 10-15 minutes every time.
  2. Use a local analgesic spray like Dynapar QPS spray (Diclofenac) for local application after ice fomentation.
  3. Your mother can take anti-inflammatory medication like tablet Durapain (combination of Diclofenac and Tramadol) one tablet twice a day for five to seven days. It can induce a bit of nausea.
  • Orthotic or footwear modification is very important to relieve stress and pressure on spur, so please visit your orthotist and discuss my suggestion.
  • Meanwhile, I would want you get a few blood tests done on an empty stomach for your mother. They are CBC - complete blood count, ESR - erythrocyte sedimentation rate, CRP (C-reactive protein) and serum uric acid.

Revert back with the test reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

Can you suggest physiotherapy treatment for plantar fasciitis and knee pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40 year old man. I have a foot pain which was diagnosed a few years ago as plantar fasciitis. I use shoes with special support, insoles, and cushion on the socks. I also have a pain in my right knee, especially on the inner side. I want to know if there are any exercises or st...  Read Full »

Does pain in soles while walking or standing mean plantar fasciitis?

Query: Hello doctor,From the last few months, I am having pain in both the soles. It gets worse when I walk or stand for a long time. Also, it gets worse when I sleep. I suspect it is plantar fasciitis. What remedy do you suggest?  Read Full »

Kindly see the x-ray of my foot, and tell me if I have Lisfranc injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been using moon boot from approximately seven weeks, for a fourth base disruption. I have just had x-rays. I would like an opinion on two things, please. Should I be worried about the spacing between the first and second metatarsal (Lisfranc injury)? There does not seem to be a...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now