Q. How to manage my mother's plantar fasciitis?

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani

My mother, who is 50, is suffering from plantar fasciitis. She lives in a remote area and so, regular physical and ESWT therapy is not feasible. I am planning to buy a portable ESWT device. Will this be helpful and feasible to use them at home without any assistance? Is there any side effect associated with these portable devices? Please advise.

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani

Fitness Expert Physiotherapy
#

• Plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of foot tissue, can be reduced by decrease weight bearing, by wearing different footwear and by physiotherapy.
  • TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) will not be an effective one. You need to take ultrasound therapy with analgesic cream use and it will be more effective.
  • TENS therapy is only temporary and will not give a problem solving approach. Even though it will not give any side effect, there will not be a benefit too.
  • So, kindly take ultrasound therapy, which is essentially needed for 15 days and the protocol is 1 MHz and 1.5 W/sq cm for 10 minutes daily.

For further information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|