Q. How to recover from plantar fasciitis and hip pain?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2022

I am 60 years old. I have had plantar fasciitis for one year and two months. It is getting better, but I wanted a second opinion on my MRI done two months ago. Also, for the past two weeks, I have had hip pain from the groin to the outer part of the hip in a semi-circle. It is painful to get in and out of a car or climb stairs. I have been going to gym for the past three years. I went to see a podiatrist six months ago, and they performed shockwave therapy on my left foot, but it got worse. Then my physiotherapist saw MRI and said the shockwave had caused trauma to the heel bone and recommended treating it as a stress fracture. No wit is about 25% better than six months ago. Kindly help.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As far as the plantar fasciitis is concerned, there is evidence on the MRI suggesting some edema on the plantar fascia's attachment to the calcaneum. As you are getting better, not much needs to be done investigations-wise, but you need to do Achilles tendon stretches, intrinsic strengthening exercises, roller massage, contrast bath, etc.

Regarding the new symptoms of hip pain, this can be a simple muscle strain and will settle down in the next few weeks. It could be early hip osteoarthritisand will need an X-ray and hip examination by an orthopedic surgeon. It could be trochanteric bursitis, and you may need some physiotherapy. You could wait for a few weeks, and meanwhile, for the symptom, I suggest you take painkiller tablets and do some ice packs. If you are still concerned, please get an X-ray to rule out OA of the hip.

|