Q. Is there a chance to get nose or brain infection from nostril hair?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

I am a 17-year-old male. For the past six to seven days I am having a cold. My mucus has turned green and also my mucus become hard and stays just at the end of my nose. Three days ago I cleared the hard mucus with my fingers and get out along with some hairs. I get some hairs out even when I use my hand kerchief to clean it. I was good until today. But today in the morning I have coved my finger with a cloth to clean it I just got only one hair out from my nose. After I came home today I washed my nose with water and got some wet mucus. When I tried to clean with cloth I got only one small hair. Later when I forcefully blew my nose I got four to five hairs along with the mucus. I fear that some hair would have gone inside during my action of cleaning. Now I am worried about brain infection, nose infection.ear infections and what not I read online. What to do now? I am totally confused and depressed. Please guide me. From then on I have not blowed, not picked nor put the cloth inside.

#

Our internal nose has two parts one part which is known as vestibule contains a large number of hair follicles and another part is more inside part of the nose which contains simple mucosa which produces mucus. You seem to be suffering from an acute infection of the nose known as acute rhinosinusitis which is a very common type of nose infection.

You have tried cleaning your nose using fingers and cloth which lead to injury to the hair follicles in your vestibule and caused shedding of the hair which is almost normal with many patients suffering from acute rhinosinusitis. You really need not worry those hairs will grow back.

For acute rhinosinusitis, you need to take antibiotics, decongestant nasal drops and antihistamine tablets. Take Taxim-O (Cefixime) 200 mg two times daily after food for five days, tablet Sinarest (Paracetamol and Chlorpheniramine maleate) three times daily for three days after food. Use Otrivin nasal drops, three times daily for three days. Relax you have a common type of nose Infection and falling of nasal hair is not really abnormal.

| 

Why do I have blocked nose with hoarse voice?

Query: Hello doctor, My family doctor referred me to an ENT to investigate a persistent sinus discharge problem that seemed to be causing voice hoarseness, likely from mucus building up in my throat. I thought the hoarseness might be a side effect of the Tamsulosin I take each day for BPH, but he did not ...  Read Full »

From the last 10 years, I am suffering from allergies. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past 10 years, I am suffering from an allergy. The doctors informed that due to allergy there is an excess histamine produced in my body. My allergic symptoms are nasal congestion, sneezing, anxiety, frequent throat infection, shortness of breath, and some kind of discomfort. ...  Read Full »

Can Nasonex and Zyrtec be used for sinus block?

Query: Hi doctor, I found that my nose was blocked. The doctor diagnosed it as sinus block. I first took Otrivin drops and Moxiflox (antibiotic). As there is no improvement, I am taking Nasonex and Zyrtec. Please give your opinion.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»