Q. Kindly suggest from my reports whether I have a lung nodule.

Dr. Padmesh Jain
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have pneumonia from COVID. My main concern is there stating that I might have a nodule. Is it improving or? This is my first time seeing this on my report. Also, if you can just explain the whole report to me, it will be better.

Thank you doctor.

#

Sad to know that you suffered from COVID pneumonia. I hope you are better now and discharged from the hospital. I would have been in a better position had you sent your HRCT-chest images. Nonetheless, I will try to explain the report you have provided in a simplified way as per your demand.

HRCT is basically a high-resolution computed tomography scan of your chest in which very thin (1.25 mm) slices of your lung tissue are analyzed.

As per your report (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), the heart size is within normal limits.

The space between both lungs is called the mediastinum. For the convenience of study, it is divided into the superior, middle, and inferior mediastinum. The superior part contains few nerves, blood vessels, and respiratory structures. Your report mentions some small metallic structures present there, abbreviated as BB. It could be a small metallic clip after a biopsy or some procedure. Have you undergone any operation or procedure before? If yes, please provide details.

I am coming on to your main concern.

Pneumonia is the solidification of the normal air-containing lung tissue. As pneumonia resolves and lungs heal, the solidification gets liquefied and appears net-like. Reticular means net-like. During this liquefaction process (resolution ), the material also forms tiny droplets, which appear on HRCT as a net-like structure with tiny nodules. This is called reticular nodularity. In contrast, a solitary lung nodule is a different identity in itself, which can be due to a variety of causes.

Residual word in your reports means that it is resolving. The base of the lungs are usually the last to resolve. So you need not worry. You are getting better. Just relax.

I hope and I am sure you will be fit and fine soon.

COVID-19.
Viral infections.

Repeat HRCT-Chest SOS.
Serum antibodies to COVID-19 virus.

Other viral pneumonia.

Follow-up with reports and detailed history if you have undergone any operation or procedure before.

So I do not have a lung nodule? No, I never had the procedure.

Thank you for explaining.

#

Yes, currently, you do not have a separate lung nodule. As I explained before, you have reticular nodularity at lung bases which happens when COVID pneumonia is resolving. I would advise you to get a repeat HRCT-chest done after three months to see if the residual reticular nodularity has cleared. It will also help us see if there is any individual nodule left or formed. Furthermore, it will help detect post-COVID fibrosis changes, if any, which happens in very few cases. Do share your scan images and report with me.

As of now, just relax. I do not see anything to be worried about.

Best regards.

HRCT chest after three months.

|