Q. I have multiple T2 hyperintense cysts scattered in the liver. Is this abnormal?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 41-year-old male who is 5.10 feet tall and weighs about 180 lbs. I take 5 mg a day of Lexapro for anxiety or depression for the last five months. No other medications, but I do take supplements and vitamins. As a result of an MRI of my spinal cord to look for muscle twitching possibilities, cysts were discovered in my liver and spleen, and I have no muscle weakness or muscle loss. According to the MRI report: "multiple scattered T2 hyperintense cysts are seen in the liver". The largest is 1.8 in the anterior superior right hepatic lobe. Spleen as 1.8x 1.3 x 1.7 cm circumscribed T1 hypointense, T2 hyperintense lesion. This is most likely benign, such as a pseudocyst or lymphangioma. " Over five months ago, my muscles began twitching out of nowhere. To make a long story short. I have undergone blood work, an EMG, and an MRI of my brain (with contrast) and a complete spinal column (without comparison). I was diagnosed with benign muscle fasciculations by a neurologist.

#

I have seen your images, blood reports and read your history (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My conclusion is that multiple liver cysts cause echinococcus parasitic infection, which is painful, and fever, which you do not have. Next can be polycystic kidney disease (PKD), but your kidney is normal without a cyst. Next, we have to rule out hemangioma. Your liver tumor marker is not raised, then only you can do. First of all, do not panic, as it looks benign and not malignant. Next is to repeat contrast CT (computed tomography) after six months and see the size if they are increasing, then go for liver and cyst biopsy, which will confirm your actual condition.

Thank you for your reply.

I think my dad had PKD and had surgery at 82 to remove a large cyst from his liver. He also had cysts on the kidneys but not the spleen like I do. What do you think could have caused these cysts? Is this a common or abnormal condition? Can it be caused by too much cinnamon consumption or supplements, in your opinion?

#

Polycystic kidney disease can be due to hereditary or family history. So you have to be cautious about any change in kidney structure and its function. For that, you have to go for regular interval USG (ultrasonography) of kidney and abdomen and checking the size; if the size is the same or slow progression, then it is benign only, no need to worry much. Interval to check is three months, six months, and two years. If there is an increase in size, you need to evaluate further, and biopsy is the option. At present, he needs follow-up. It has no relation to eating more cinnamon.

|