Q. Are there any side effects in taking Ponnavarai Choornam continuously?

Dr. Alka
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2021

I am suffering from constipation, and I tried a lot of tablets for this problem. I started taking Ponnavarai Choornam from a month. Can I take Ponnavarai Choornam continuously? Is there any side effects? When I take this, I have pain around my stomach. I am afraid to take it because I am scared if it creates liver or stomach problems in the future. I have a doubt whether it cleanses our body or not. What does it actually do?

#

I just read your query.

• Ponnavarai Choorana is a Siddha medicine, and it is used in many diseases including constipation. If you are having severe stomach pain while taking this, then stop taking this.
  • As you are taking it continuously, your intestine will get habitual, and in future, it would be difficult for you to come back to normal bowel habit. So instead of taking it continuously, improve your dietary habits. I suggest you try doing the following:
  1. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. Have more salads.
  2. Drink plenty of liquids.
  3. In the evenings, have one glass of lukewarm milk.
  4. Avoid excessive tea, coffee, and caffeinated drinks. Avoid spicy and junk food.
  5. Sleep adequately and sleep before midnight.
  • If taken under physician's supervision, this Choorana will not cause any liver and stomach problem. It cleanses our body. But long-term use is not recommended. So, if you are taking it for more than a month, then stop taking it. Instead, improve dietary habits as mentioned here for constipation, and soon your bowel habits will become normal.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer. For more queries, you can consult me. Thank you.

For further queries consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

|