Q. I cannot sustain erection and my blood pressure is quite high. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

My penis gets soft very quickly and I cannot sustain erection for a long time. Moreover, after one session, it is very difficult to cope up with the next session. Sometimes, when I use a condom it is very difficult for me to enjoy my sex. Please help.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Before we can make any conclusions, I request you to provide the following details, so an impression can be made about the cause of the problem.

• How long you are facing this problem of erection? How the problem started, whether it was sudden in onset or build up slowly over the months or years?
  • What is the frequency of the problem, in a week or month? In a typical month out of what number of sexual interactions or masturbations you will do?
  • What are the factors that increase the erection problem? What are the factors that relieve the problem such as thoughts, situations, partner, place, etc?
  • Do you get early morning erection? If yes, then how frequent?
  • What is your relationship status and partner details? Is she very critical, demands sex more than what can you think? Does she feel superior to you or bothers you in some other regards?
  • What is the effect on your relationship so far?
  • Do you have any past medical illness? What are the medications you are receiving currently, if any including ayurvedic, homeopathic or any other?
  • What are the medication you received in the past and their effect?
  • Do you have any psychiatric illness? Had any investigations done till date and reports of the latest investigations?

Revert back with the answers to the questions to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

I have been facing this erection problem for the past one year. The problem started gradually over the months. The frequency of the problem is four to five times a month. Similarly, sex and masturbation frequency too for four to five times a month. After one good sex everything followed by will get a failure. Sometimes, thought help to distract. Yes, I get regular morning erection. My wife is a perfect one. She understands me and co-operates well. I do not have any past medical history or psychiatric illness. Sometimes, I used to take medicine for gastric problem, high blood pressure, antibiotics and painkillers. My sugar and ECG are quite normal. But, my blood pressure is slightly high.

#

I have gone through the provided details and understand your problem.

• Presence of regular early morning erections and first good session of sex indicates there is physically no problem. These two things are indicative of the fact that nerve supply and blood supply are intact and to the optimum level to a good extent.
  • Now, regarding the problem, there are two explanations and possible solutions.
  • First that the erection problem is psychogenic. The chances are high as there is a sexual drive mismatch between partners.
  • Both of you need to understand that there is a refractory period after the first sex session and by age this increases. So, if you are not able to deliver immediately after the first session there is nothing to worry. It is normal and give a fair trial with stimulation from your partner.
  • There is high possibility that with decreased fear of failure and more partner support will deliver more frequent erections than the current day.
  • In case if you still find it difficult, then it will be appropriate to seek professional help in the form of a personal consultation or online consultation for counseling and mental support.
  • Second is the use of antihypertensive medications. I am not aware which antihypertensive you are using, but there is enough literature to suggest that both hypertension and antihypertensive medication can cause erection problems.
  • I request you to see your doctor in that regard and ask for changing medication for high blood pressure. Many of my patients get ultimate relief in regard to erection problem to change of blood pressure medication. Proper control of blood pressure is essential for adequate sexual response and functioning.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full »

Simple Ways to Control Hypertension Naturally

Article Overview: This article tells how to control high blood pressure without any medicine with simple lifestyle modifications. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Following lifestyle modifications for blood pressure control are recommended: The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) eating pattern should be preferred. Reducing sodium intake. Reducing alcohol consumption. Exercising regularly. Losing weight. Smoking cessation. Stressbusters. ...  Read Article

Is my BP range normal for my age?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 62 and male. I am on anti-hypertensive medication for years, my current BP is in the range of 140 to 150 (sys)/60 to 70 (dia). Is this BP good enough for my age? Any suggestions, please?  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now