Q. I have partial phimosis and erectile dysfunction only during sex. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhav
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am 31 years old. I am a healthy, active person with no sugar or heart issues (done screening) with no LDL or triglyceride problem. However, I am suffering from two issues. First, when I masturbate, I get erections. I also get morning erections (not daily). But during sex, sometimes I lose erections, and I am not able to ejaculate during intercourse. The second issue is I am suffering from partial phimosis. The foreskin does not go back entirely. It stops few centimeters before or halfway. It hurts too. I am not sure why I cannot maintain the erection and ejaculate, as when I masturbate, both things work fine. I am stressed and anxious. Do I have a venous leak problem causing erectile dysfunction? Please let me know which test I need to do.



Welcome to

It does not seem you have a venous leak, as your erection and ejaculation are good during masturbation. However, in the case of a venous leak, it will affect even during masturbation. The most probable reason for your problem can be partial phimosis, as, during intercourse, you will be subconsciously worried about the pain due to pulling back of prepuce (foreskin). This can cause detumescence of the penis and delayed ejaculation too. If you doubt penile blood flow or venous leak, the best Investigation is a Doppler ultrasound scan of the penis. If your phimosis has been for a long duration, you may need circumcision surgery. I hope this clarifies your doubt.

Hi doctor,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not get the morning erections daily, but when I get it, it seems firm and stays erect for few minutes, I guess. Once I took Cialis, and it lasted longer, can I safely assume that I do not have a venous leak? What causes erectile dysfunction or soft erections?



Welcome back to

Usually, daily in the morning, a fully rigid erection does not happen. A Doppler scan can only make confirmation of venous leak of the penis. But your symptoms suggest it is less likely. As explained earlier, since your erection is normal during masturbation, some apprehension during a physical relationship is causing a soft erection. The possible cause in your case can be discomfort due to phimosis which is preventing full erection. Thanks.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have phimosis. Will sex be a problem for me?

The condition is called paraphimosis ...   Read full

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

With regards to erectile dysfunction, the most common cause at this age would be psychogenic ... I feel a strong sexual urge but then there is that ...   Read full

I suffer from premature ejaculation and poor erection.I have tried herbal/ayurveda products with no results at all.Please help.

Hello doctor, My sister is having severe stomach ache and yellow vomiting and the pain goes around her abdomen to the back. She is suffering from this pain for the past one week. Please help.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.