Q. Is there any relation between incomplete defecation and erection?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Is there any positive relation between defecation and erection? Whenever I have incomplete defecation, I feel less sensation in my shaft accompanied by frequent urination. I also noticed that once I fully empty my stomach, I could perform well. The issue is, I cannot assure whether I defecate fully.

Kindly help.

#

I have gone through your symptoms.

Your presenting complaint looks like there is an issue with the nerves that control defecation and urination.

I would like to know whether you have had any spine problems such as lower backache, deformities, accidents, or trauma to your lumbar spine before? Do you have any weakness in your lower limbs? Do you have any sensory differences between both sides of your buttocks, anus, or thighs?

If so, we need to evaluate it; else, you need to consult a nephrologist for this issue.

Take care.

Neuropathic bladder and bowel disturbance.

Thanks for replying.

I had a weakness due to COVID in my thigh muscles and muscles surrounding my knees for six months and started physiotherapy. I am in the recovery phase. That is the only closest issue I have. But no spine trauma or any other related issues.

If the full rectum presses on a nerve, will that cause an issue for the nerve?

Kindly help.

#

Nice to hear back from you.

The history of COVID-19 (Corona Virus Disease 2019) is importantly correlating with the problems for which you have approached here.

This weakness of your legs, if it was due to COVID-19, generally recovers within two months, though exceptions are always there. But your weakness is there for six months. So we need to evaluate for other causes, if any, is responsible for that.

You need to understand that the nerves that are supplying your legs, penis, and anus are closely situated in your spine.

So your leg muscle weakness, urination, and defecation problems all together could be closely related. And full rectum will not press any nerve to cause any issue. It is the reverse; if the nerve is compressed at the spinal level, a person can present similar symptoms to yours.

I would suggest taking capsule Renerve plus (Alpha-lipoic acid, Chromium, Folic acid, Inositol, Methylcobalamin, Selenium, Zinc) twice daily for 30 days.

I would suggest you go for an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) spine with special attention to the lumbosacral region. Let me see; if my assumption is correct, I shall diagnose your problem with this report. If not, my following advice will be to visit a neurologist. I am waiting to see your report.

Take care.

Compressive or non-compressive myelopathy.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to tell you about a minor incident; while I was having intercourse with an 80 percent erection, I felt a little uncomfortable around the condom area. There was a sudden reduction in the erection.

Why is it so?

Kindly give your opinion.

#

It is good to hear that your symptoms are better and improving.

I do not suspect suspensory ligament tear or injury because it should cause a problem only with penile erection and do not interfere with defecation and muscle weakness. Your penis can get hard, but it cannot stand erect; it will be hypermobile at its joint with your body.

The diagnosis is more by history and direct physical examination by a doctor. And I am not sure whether any scan methods can see this penile ligament, so I suggest you discuss with the radiologist whether an MRI scan diagnoses penile ligament injury. If the radiologist says it to be possible, request him to look for a penile ligament while scanning for your spine.

And I almost forgot to ask you whether you have diabetes. If not sure, kindly check your blood sugar levels to make sure they are normal. I also advise you to do CBC (complete blood count), FBS (fasting blood sugar), PPBS (postprandial blood sugar), and urine routine. Next, we shall meet with all the reports together, including MRI and blood reports.

Take care.

|