Q. I take Gabapentin for my post COVID numbness and get only minimal relief. Kindly help.

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez

I had COVID a month ago. During COVID, I started having pain in my joints and muscle, along with numbness in my hands and feet. The numbness is worse in the tip of the toes and fingers. It has continued and got worse now. I am on Gabapentin, but it does not help much. I have constant numbness with frequent sharp pains in both my hands and feet. Also, I feel like I have no padding in either hands or feet. It hurts to walk on hard surfaces and gripping objects. Both turn dark red even when simple pressure is applied. Also, I have a lipoma in the center of the back lower neck needing removal. I am taking tablets Metoprolol and Losartan for several years. After COVID, I also get a tingling sensation throughout the body and especially around the lipoma. I visited the emergency room for this issue, and they put me on Gabapentin. Medicines only provide minimal relief.

Kindly help me to get better.

#

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms of pins and needles sensation on the distal parts of extremities seem to be related to the nerve. It may be a complication of COVID (Coronavirus Disease-2019) or a post-viral neuropathy.

Kindly answer me the following to help you better;

1) Do you have weakness, especially when you grip?

2) Is the numbness ascending to the legs and thighs?

3) Do you have back pains?

4) Do you have diabetes?

I suggest you do a nerve conduction study (NCV) and electromyography (EMG) along with some blood tests, namely creatinine, HbA1C (hemoglobin A1c), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CBC (complete blood count), and (C-reactive protein) to make a proper diagnosis.

If your issue is not relieved by usual medications, you might need steroids or IVIg (intravenous immunoglobulin). Meanwhile, you may increase the dose of Gabapentin to 300 mg thrice daily depending upon your tolerance and under the doctor's supervision and add vitamin B complex, Etoricoxib, and anti-inflammatory analgesics.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

My answers are;

1) There is a weakness when I grip, but it is difficult to tell if that is due to numbness or hand weakness.

2) The numbness does not ascend to the legs or thighs.

3) I do not have diabetes.

4) I do have some lower back pain for several years.

I did my blood work recently, and my creatinine levels were elevated. That was the only abnormal finding on my blood investigations. Is it weird that I am experiencing numbness occasionally throughout the rest of my body as well?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the feedback.

From the symptoms you are experiencing, it might be Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS).

It is good to repeat the creatinine test, and I highly advise you to do nerve conduction studies as much earlier as possible for a better recovery. Especially if you have weakness already, it is necessary to start a treatment regimen soon.

|