Q. My wife had COVID, and since then, she has episodes of chest pain and cough. What can be done to reduce the symptoms?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My wife had COVID, and since then, she repeatedly has episodes of chest pain and coughing, in particular after exercise and exposure to cold air. The pain is not related to breathing and is, in particular, disturbing at night, as it impedes sleep. The question is which therapy she can do to reduce the symptoms, including drugs, breath therapy. I am a doctor myself, so getting prescriptions is not a problem. I am mainly looking for proposals on the strategy.

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your wife has been suffering from chest pain and cough. These chest pain and coughing have been started after becoming COVID-19 positive, and they occur especially after exercise, exposure to cold air, and become worse during the sleeping time at night. According to the description, your wife has been suffering from COVID-19 associated respiratory complications or consequences. The treatment depends on the causes. For this reason, some investigations like HRCT of the chest, pulmonary function tests, echo, etc., should be done to find out the exact underlying causes for your wife's present sufferings and then treat them accordingly. In the meantime time, your wife can take some medications like Levosalbutamol, Montelukast, Doxofylline as well as antihistamines, etc., along with steroid or corticosteroids, etc. She can also use a bronchodilator inhaler with or without a steroid inhaler. First of all, investigations should be done to exclude other causes.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me.

|