Q. Is it normal to have severe pain after complicated molar extraction?

Dr. Akmal Abdelmalek

I had my tooth removed befor three days (bottom left first molar) and it was a tricky one to get out, around an hour or fighting with it until it gave in. Before this I have had an ongoing infection in the tooth and had previously around three courses of antibiotics. I finished my last course two weeks before the extraction.

The pain on the day once the anesthetic wore off was very bad. I had to take Paracetamol and Dihydrocodeine. Since then the pain has reduced a little maybe 10-20% less painful but it is still causing pain. Today it looks a bit manky, is this normal and expected?

Here is the tooth as of today (third-day healing). I have done my best to keep the clot in place. I only had soft foods, not had any kind of sucking motion in my mouth, no smoking, etc. The teeth on the bottom front left are also very painful but the right side of my mouth is fine. Applying any pressure in that area hurts.

Dr. Akmal Abdelmalek

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

I have seen the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The extraction wound looks normal. The pain you are feeling is also normal given that it was a difficult extraction and your dentist had to struggle pulling it out. You can use salty lukewarm water mouthwash and add Ibuprofen to the painkiller you are taking and take them regularly three or four times a day not as required and you should be fine in a couple of days. Do not forget your diet and eat nutritious foods rich in proteins and vitamins as this is important for the healing of your wound and can get ignored in the middle of your pain.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

What is the reason for yellow-colored stuff in the tooth socket post extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my wisdom teeth removed three weeks ago and on the third day, it felt like I ripped my stitching. A few days later it was bothering me so I put my finger in my mouth and I felt an opening along where the stitching should be. So I decided to feel the other side to compare that s...  Read Full »

Can I take Carisoprodol as I am allergic to Ibuprofen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am allergic to Ibuprofen. Can I take Carisoprodol?  Read Full »

What is the sharp hard thing coming out of gums after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old and had to get my wisdom tooth extracted a week ago. The surgery was very complex and painful. Few days into it and I started feeling something hard and sharp coming out from my gums towards my tongue, went to the dentist again. She was not able to take it out so she...  Read Full »