Q. Is it normal to see a small tissue in the socket after extraction?

Dr. Sandeep Menon
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

I got my wisdom teeth pulled before four days, the very next day I throw up due to antibiotics. An hour later, a piece of tissue was hanging on the upper right clotted socket, is this normal?

#

The situation which you described is entirely normal. The area surrounding the wisdom tooth gets usually inflamed, which is known as pericoronitis. After the removal of the area around the socket, which is the gingival (gum) tissue undergoes healing. The piece of tissue which you mentioned is the gum tissue undergoing healing. The socket will take about a month to close completely. Make sure you rinse every day with lukewarm saline water and mouthwash about four to five times daily, which helps in accelerating the healing process. I hope I have answered your query.

|