Q. Would you recommend pranayama for a 90 year old?

Answered by Dr. Vinod Kumar.

Do you have a question on Pranayama or Enhance Breathing? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My father is 90 years old. He has congestive heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He is generally in good spirits and is well taken care of. He uses oxygen and his doctors have told him that when his oxygen count goes down, to breathe in and exhale through mouth. Since his breathing is generally weak, after every time he walks or climbs stairs, he sits down with this oxygen tank and breathes in slightly and then exhales, usually with more force than he inhaled. I am trying to teach my mother about pranayama and the importance of exhaling through the nose. Her concern is that the doctors have taught them the breath in through nose technique and exhale through the mouth. Given that he is 90 with those conditions, on oxygen, is there a reason that he should use the technique the doctors are recommending? Would it be more beneficial to breath in through the nose and exhales slowing through the nose, even with the tubes in his nose? The latter makes more sense to me but since my mother only trusts her doctors, she asked to get more information about this. Thank you so much for your time.