Q. I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks. When can I safely conceive again?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 21, 2021

I am a 27 year old female. I was five weeks pregnant. But, yesterday night there was slight bleeding. I went to my gynecologist today, who did an ultrasound and transvaginal scan. He said there is no gestational sac. What do I do now? When is it safe to get pregnant again?

#

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

• Early pregnancy losses are mostly caused due to genetic problems in the baby. The right sperm has to meet the right egg to form the right embryo to sit in the right place of the endometrium. Unfortunately, in your case, either the egg or the sperm was not good enough, and so the embryo did not survive. Hence, it got aborted even before the heartbeat was seen.
  • When I say a problem with the sperm or the egg, it does not mean all the sperms or eggs are defective. It is just the particular sperm or egg was not good enough. At your age of 27 years, the chances of a bad egg are very low whereas after 35 years it is high.
  • So do not try to find the cause. This is God's method to show that only the best of an embryo can survive. Had it survived further, the baby could have had genetic anomalies, got aborted or will have had to be aborted due to uncorrectable defects. Now all you need to do is relax. Do not blame yourself or your partner. Everything happens for a reason.
  • Wait for a duration of three months until you attempt the next pregnancy, as minor issues, if any, will get resolved by themselves in that period. Have the necessary blood tests like fasting, post-prandial blood sugars, and thyroid profile tests done before you try for the next pregnancy.
  • I suggest taking tablet Folic acid 5 mg, at least a month before the next attempt.

Most importantly, before trying for the next pregnancy, pray well. Hope I have clarified your doubt. Do write back. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|