Q. My wife is pregnant after a miscarriage, and her antinuclear antibodies are positive. Kindly help us.

My wife is pregnant and has previously had a miscarriage. After her first miscarriage, we did some follow-up blood work. I have attached the reports for your reference. I just wanted a second opinion on them if anything is indicative that this is a high-risk pregnancy and any precautions we need to take. Also, I noticed that her antinuclear antibodies are positive. Is this any cause for concern?

Her pregnancy is early on two to three weeks. Should we follow up with blood tests or ultrasounds? And if so, is ultrasound risky at this stage? Also, should she be taking any supplements and any food in particular? Are there any activities that she should avoid? Kindly guide us.

#

Having seen the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), with ANA (antinuclear antibody) positive status, this makes her a case of inherited thrombophilia where chances of intra-capillary coagulation are increased during pregnancy. The other parameters like APTT (activated partial thromboplastin), protein-c, protein-s, and antithrombin-3 are also at high normal status. So, she would be required to be placed on Aspirin 75 mg and also low molecular weight Heparin injections daily from the day fetal viability is confirmed or, in simple terms, the fetal heartbeat arrives to avoid missed abortion. Ultrasound confirmation is the only investigation to find out heartbeat and USG (ultrasonography) during pregnancy are safe.

Please let me know her last menstrual period date to allow me to calculate her present period of gestation, and according would be able to guide her further.

|