Q. Are chest pain and breathing problem common in pregnancy?

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke
Published on Jul 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 21 weeks pregnant. I am having chest and lung pain on the right side along with trouble to take a deep breath. I am suffering to catch my breath. I went to the ER and they did a blood test called D-dimer. It came back positive for a lung blood clot on the left side. But, the doctor said it could be false because of my pregnancy. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

• Pregnancy has many transformations in the body and much burden on heart work increases. Mild breathlessness and chest discomfort is common during pregnancy.
  • Because of pregnancy, they cannot do many tests, which may be harmful to baby.
  • They can do echo and lung nuclear scan if there is high suspicion of pulmonary embolism present. They may think of less risk of pulmonary embolism after examination, hence not recommended as many tests.
  • Your doctor can monitor you. So, if necessary, they can do further testing. Take care.

For further information consult a cardiologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Why is the pulmonary embolism patient having burning sensation in legs?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having a burning sensation in my leg. I am wondering if that is a blood clot and if I should go to the emergency room. I had a massive pulmonary embolism and have been coded for 45 minutes. I am on a blood thinner called Eliquis. I am very freaked out right now as I have not had th...  Read Full »

What should I do for pulmonary embolism?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a physician doing postgraduation in histopathology. I am a 29 year old female. My history is of 4 years old. I had two episodes of syncope with a period of two months followed by unilateral (right) tinnitus which disappeared on pressing the right carotid, which I totally ignored. A ye...  Read Full »

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »