Q. I am 12 weeks pregnant and having severe constipation. Will it affect my unborn baby?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Published on Oct 10, 2019

I am 12 weeks pregnant, and for the past three months, I have severe constipation. I consulted the doctor, and she suggested me to take Duphalac syrup. I tried, but there is of no use. The same problem persists. Will it affect my unborn baby?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Constipation is common in the early stages of pregnancy. It is due to the chemical increasing in your body, which is required for your baby to grow. So the baby is fine, no need to worry about it.

For constipation, I suggest you should take Duphalac syrup two tea spoon at night every day. And if it is not working, then take two times a day. Do not drink cold water, drink lukewarm water.

Drink more water three to five liters per day. Eat green leafy vegetables more. It is the only solution. I hope this helps.

My constipation is so bad that I have to evacuate the stools with my fingers. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an anal fissure, internal hemorrhoid, SRUS, and constipation. One year ago, I was suffering from a hard stool that was difficult to pass. I went to a gastroenterologist, who did a colonoscopy and found that I had an anal fissure and internal hemorrhoid. He prescribed Sitcom Fo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the files uploaded by you. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The endoscopy report you have shown does not show any evidence of SRUS (solitary rectal ulcer syndrome). All your symptoms can be attributed to underlying constipation. Har...  Read Full

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Diabetes is not curable but controllable. The first line in the management of type 2 diabetes is lifestyle modifications. Fasting should not be higher than 110, postprandial should not be higher than 140, and HbA1c should not be higher than 7.5. My advice: Healthy di...  Read Full

Is it possible for me to have a successful pregnancy with a 7.3 cm intramural posterior fibroid?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it possible for me to have a successful pregnancy with a 7.3 cm intramural posterior fibroid? I would rather not have it removed.  Read Full >>

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. Probably it is possible as many women conceive and have successful pregnancies. But on the other hand, it is also a risk factor for the miscarriages, and it may or may not interfere with implantation though miscarriages are higher with submucosal ones. But it is not l...  Read Full