Q. Is it safe to get an X-ray when pregnant?

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

Hello doctor,

My wife is seven weeks pregnant. She had to undergo an X-ray and mammogram recently. Is there any risk of radiation to the fetus?

#

• From your description, it is difficult to say if there would be any long-term effects to the fetus.
  • You can get an early anomaly scan at 12 weeks of pregnancy to rule out any abnormalities.
  • Usually, a single exposure does not cause trouble. So, for all practical purposes, it should be alright and there would not be any radiation damage to the fetus.

Take care.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|