Q. Please explain the reason for weight gain during pregnancy.

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

When I had my third ultrasound, I was 24 weeks pregnant and it appeared like two faces in the ultrasound. I keep asking my obstetrician regarding my weight gain. I am gaining so much weight when I barely eat and my stomach so huge. I found that at 14 weeks on my first ultrasound I was having a boy and that was pretty early for me to find out a gender. I eat like two meals at once a day. I am now 34 weeks and 5 days pregnant. My obstetrician does not check my pelvis and not advised for another ultrasound. Can I send a picture of my third ultrasound to get a second opinion whether I am having twins?

#

• One cannot make out from the picture of an ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient identity) whether there is a single or twin pregnancy as in one section only one fetus is seen at a time.
  • There is absolutely no indication for a pelvic exam at this point in your pregnancy. Also, there is no need for frequent ultrasounds.
  • If you are gaining weight excessively, then it is not just because of the baby, but because of the amniotic fluid, breast enlargement and loosening of the pelvic joints.
  • Only the person who actually performing or watching the ultrasonography can tell if there are twins or not. There is no need for any additional medications.
  • The way you are eating is incorrect; you must eat smaller but frequent meals to maintain your blood sugar and insulin levels.
  • You can get your blood sugar levels checked if you feel excessive weight gain is occurring.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|