Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What can be done for flu-like symptoms with anxiety during pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. Bharat Udey
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am 26 weeks pregnant and had an extreme bout of anxiety and panic four weeks ago that lasted for 2 to 3 weeks, slowly improving over that time. I was also diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency. But all other blood work was normal. I tried Zoloft for two days and it made me so much worse. Now that most of the anxiety has subsided I have on and off flu-like symptoms and fatigue. I feel fine when I get up in the morning and then at some point in the day it starts. Could this be related to recovering from the anxiety and stress my body went through? I have always had bad health, anxiety, and it has me worried about chronic fatigue.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine


Welcome to

Pregnancy is a delicate phase, you should not take it lightly. You should not take any medication without any opinion from your treating physician. Anxiety associated with flu-like symptoms can be due to an underlying medical condition (such as infection). Hence you should seek an opinion from your gynaecologist as well.

Zoloft is a safer drug for anxiety, but still you should take opinion before taking it on your own. Medical causes are more common etiological causes for anxiety, they must be ruled out first. The symptoms that you are facing these days in morning can be the residual anxiety symptoms. So, before taking any medication for this anxiety, get yourself assessed in detail to rule out any underlying medical cause for the same.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?
Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)
Can anxiety cause foot drop and twitches in the body?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is it possible for me to have a successful pregnancy with a 7.3 cm intramural posterior fibroid?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it possible for me to have a successful pregnancy with a 7.3 cm intramural posterior fibroid? I would rather not have it removed.  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

I just found out I am pregnant. Is there any risk of malformation from Minoxidil?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 28 year old female who is overweight. I have been using Minoxidil 5 % topical solution for alopecia areata on the scalp. I just found out my urine pregnancy test is positive. Now I have stopped using it. I might be in the early weeks of pregnancy. Should I be worried about the fetus? ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.