Q. What can be done for flu-like symptoms with anxiety during pregnancy?

Dr. Bharat Udey
Published on Nov 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I am 26 weeks pregnant and had an extreme bout of anxiety and panic four weeks ago that lasted for 2 to 3 weeks, slowly improving over that time. I was also diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency. But all other blood work was normal. I tried Zoloft for two days and it made me so much worse. Now that most of the anxiety has subsided I have on and off flu-like symptoms and fatigue. I feel fine when I get up in the morning and then at some point in the day it starts. Could this be related to recovering from the anxiety and stress my body went through? I have always had bad health, anxiety, and it has me worried about chronic fatigue.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

Pregnancy is a delicate phase, you should not take it lightly. You should not take any medication without any opinion from your treating physician. Anxiety associated with flu-like symptoms can be due to an underlying medical condition (such as infection). Hence you should seek an opinion from your gynaecologist as well.

Zoloft is a safer drug for anxiety, but still you should take opinion before taking it on your own. Medical causes are more common etiological causes for anxiety, they must be ruled out first. The symptoms that you are facing these days in morning can be the residual anxiety symptoms. So, before taking any medication for this anxiety, get yourself assessed in detail to rule out any underlying medical cause for the same.

| 

Is it possible for me to have a successful pregnancy with a 7.3 cm intramural posterior fibroid?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it possible for me to have a successful pregnancy with a 7.3 cm intramural posterior fibroid? I would rather not have it removed.  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

I just found out I am pregnant. Is there any risk of malformation from Minoxidil?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 28 year old female who is overweight. I have been using Minoxidil 5 % topical solution for alopecia areata on the scalp. I just found out my urine pregnancy test is positive. Now I have stopped using it. I might be in the early weeks of pregnancy. Should I be worried about the fetus? ...  Read Full »