Q. Can I take tablet Cefpodoxime for my UTI during the eighth week of pregnancy?

Dr. Monica Mathur

I am 8 weeks pregnant and tested positive for leukocytes. And my report states that no significant bacterial growth is seen. They prescribed me Cefpodoxime. Should I take it, and is it safe for the baby?

Thanks.

#

The antibiotic prescribed is relatively safe during pregnancy. It would help if you took it, as there is a bacterial infection in your urinary tract, which is not very significant. But there are always chances of flaring up, which can lead to failure of pregnancy.

Kindly follow the advice mentioned below:

1) Drink plenty of water, juices, and coconut water.

2) Wear cotton panties this season.

3) Clean your private parts with water after every urination.

Thanks for the reply.

According to you, will flaring up of urinary infection results in miscarriage?

Thanks.

#

Urinary infection during the early weeks of pregnancy can lead to incomplete abortion and sometimes causes vaginal bleeding. So, I would suggest you continue with medication with a good diet to get better soon.

|