Q. Can you use Desonide cream and Dextroamphetamine while trying to conceive?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

I have two specific questions. I am trying to conceive, and I am trying to be as careful as possible about taking any medications that could harm the fetus should I get pregnant. My questions have to do with the two medications. I am currently prescribed Desonide cream 0.05 percent (pregnancy category C) for moderate psoriasis on my face and three to four patches on my limbs, with a large one on the front of my knee. I have been using it a couple of times a week for almost two years (I am still on the same tube), so I am using it sparingly. Although my dermatologist told me that I am safe to use while trying to conceive and even during my first trimester, I wanted to get an opinion from a toxicologist. I intend to discontinue the use of all medications the minute I find out I am pregnant. However, I am questioning the safety of its use during the period I am trying to conceive.

I have the same question for a medication I have been prescribed for the past several years for my diagnosed ADHD Dextroamphetamine 5 mg twice a day (I am a busy attorney who needs this small dose of medication to function at the level I need to). My prescribing doctor advises me that I can safely take this medication while trying to conceive but would not recommend it while pregnant. Here is my dilemma. I plan on discontinuing all medications the minute I find out I am pregnant. I take an at-home pregnancy test each month before and after my scheduled menstruation, so I hope even if I got pregnant, it would be before the placenta formed and would not harm the fetus.

However, since I have been on these prescribed medications, albeit at low doses, for some length of time, do I need to be concerned about any build-up in my system harming the fetus even if I quit as soon as I know I am pregnant at about three to four weeks? Can I safely continue to take my medications during the "trying to conceive" period? My doctors sound kind of unsure at the same time; they are telling me it is fine. Please help. I am so concerned about our unborn child's safety that I can barely sleep at night.

#

Category C drugs may have shown side effects in the animal fetus, but there is no evidence in pregnant women or fetuses. Hence it is not easy to give a straight answer. Since Desonide cream is applied to the skin, the absorption into the blood is negligible. If it goes into the blood in a minimal amount, then also you need not worry. This drug has not shown any severe effects on the fetus. If the same drug was given as a tablet or injection, I could say that it is not suitable during pregnancy. You can continue this skin ointment without any worries during pregnancy. The second thing, for psoriasis, you should not stop the drugs. Drug therapy is lifelong. So, if you quit during pregnancy, then the disease will come again. So the skin ointment is the better choice. Dextroamphetamine may not be suitable if pregnancy is confirmed. You may ask your physician to change anything else. But, in unavoidable situations, this drug is consumed by pregnant women. Since other drugs can be substituted for you, this drug can be stopped once pregnancy is confirmed. Thank you.

Thanks for your reply.

So, can I safely take my medications while trying to conceive? So I do not need to worry about the build-up of the medicine as I have been taking them for an extended period (affecting the fetus)? I am still confused. Your answer states," this drug has not shown any severe effects on the fetus," about the Desonide cream 0.05 percent. What are possible side effects on the fetus? Whether considered severe or not? Please reply.

#

The cream will not produce any side effects to the fetus, and I am sure. If the same drug is taken as tablet or injection, the possible consequence to the fetus are generalized edema, elevation of blood pressure, and elevation of blood glucose. All these will be reversed after delivery. So, no need to worry.

Thanks for the reply.

That helps me feel better. So, to reiterate, do you feel like I can safely continue to use my Desonide topical cream not only during conception but through pregnancy as well? How about in the first trimester? In terms of Dextroamphetamine, I absolutely will quit taking that the minute I find out I am pregnant. Do you feel it would be safe to continue the Dextroamphetamine 10 mg daily while trying to conceive? What effects could this medication have if taken only during the conception period and not after the fourth week of pregnancy? Thank you so much for your quick answers, as I was so concerned about this.

#

You can continue the ointment throughout pregnancy, with absolutely no issues to the fetus. Dextroamphetamine can be continued during conception days, and it is not harmful to the developing embryo. During the second trimester, the brain starts developing. The effects on the fetus will begin only during the second trimester. So, do not worry about continuing this drug till pregnancy is confirmed.

Thanks for the reply.

I have another question also. Do I need to resend, or shall I ask in the following query?

#

You may type your query here itself so that I will be able to reply. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your advice. You are so knowledgeable and so professional. You have truly put my mind at ease. I wanted to consult a toxicologist. Also, have you ever worked with women patients in this situation, with these medications, or is your expert knowledge through extensive research and studies?

#

Thanks for the query. My knowledge in this field is from the research studies. I have less experience in these pregnancy drugs. You may leave your worries, which also affects pregnancy. I wish you all the best.

Thanks for the reply.

You are awesome. You have cleared my doubts—all the best to you.

#

Thanks for the compliment. Good luck.

|