HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologypregnancy scareI had unprotected sex just once. Is pregnancy possible?

Can a single incident of unprotected sex lead to pregnancy?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 21, 2022
Reviewed AtJanuary 30, 2024

Patient's Query

My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex one time, and we have not done it since then. We had sex for like 10 minutes at most; I think it was around 6 minutes. Every so often, he pulled out. I do not think anything got in me. About two weeks after we had sex, I had a weird period-type incident that lasted for three days, and the fluid was completely brown, but my periods have always been abnormal and irregular. My last real period ended in June last week, and I had sex in mid-July. I have not gained any weight, but I am super worried and nervous about this. I did not take a morning-after pill because I did not feel like there was any chance that I could be pregnant. What are the chances that I am pregnant, in your opinion? Should I take a pregnancy test?

Answered by Dr. Rajesh Jain

Do not worry; the intercourse was during the safe period. There was no deposition of semen in the vagina, so there are no chances of pregnancy. As your periods are irregular, wait for a few days for your periods or take Primolut-N (Norethisterone) one tablet twice a day for five days after consulting a specialist and with their consent. Your periods will occur within a few days of stopping Primolut-N.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

default Img
Dr. Rajesh Jain

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy