Q. I had unprotected sex on the tenth day, and immediately took an I-pill. Can I be pregnant?

Dr. Suhail Khanday

I have two kids. I had unprotected sex with my husband on the tenth day, and immediately I took an I-pill. Still, I did not get my period. Can I be pregnant? Usually, my period is regular, but this time it is delayed by two days.

#

Be relaxed. The chances of you being pregnant are very negligible, provided you took the I-pill (Levonorgestrel) within the first 72 hours of intercourse.

Delay in your periods can happen with I-pill, but to be on the safer side, I request you to please do a urine pregnancy test.

If you have any other queries, do contact me.

Thank you for the advice doctor,

I did my urine pregnancy test, and it came out negative. Five days have crossed; still, there is no period.

#

Since you have taken the I-pill appropriately and your urine pregnancy test is negative, you are unlikely to be pregnant, so relax. However, a false-negative test is still possible, so I would request you to repeat your urine pregnancy test twice with a gap of two to three days. The urine pregnancy test detects hCG. There might be less hCG in your urine to be seen by a urine pregnancy test, and doing a urine pregnancy test late in the day can also turn to be negative. Preferably do your urine pregnancy test with the first urine in the morning and discard some urine stream. Collect midstream of urine and do your urine pregnancy test with that sample.

Your delayed periods can also be due to other reasons other than pregnancy like I-pill, stress, hormonal changes, taking birth control pills.

After the test report, I will suggest you some medications.

Urine pregnancy test.

I will come back with the report.

#

hCG doubles every two to three days and so recheck is important.

|