HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologypregnancy scareIs it safe to have sex the next day after the period ended?

I have bloody vaginal discharge eight days after taking Unwanted 72. What should I do?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At March 9, 2021
Reviewed AtJanuary 30, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I had sex the next day after my period ended. Precum did touch my vagina. My periods started on the ninth of last month, and it ended on the fourteenth. I had sex on the fifteenth and took Unwanted 72 (contraceptive) on the seventeenth. After eight days, I experienced deep brown blood with mucus in my vaginal discharge. I found similar red blood discharge in the next two days. Along with this, I have PCOD, and my age is 18. What are my chances of pregnancy? And if there is, what should I do next?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. The day you have mentioned having intercourse is among the least fertile days of your menstrual cycle. However, I recommend using protection to avoid unnecessary outcomes. The bleeding you mentioned might or might not be associated with your PCOD (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and more likely due to hormonal imbalance. If you are on any medications for PCOD, I suggest taking them as per your doctor's advice. Another thing you can do is regular exercise along with consuming healthy food. That helps in improving symptoms. Take a urine pregnancy test if you experience delayed periods for more than two to three weeks.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Manisha Raghunath Auradkar
Dr. Manisha Raghunath Auradkar

General Practitioner

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy