Q. Is there any chance of pregnancy with unprotected sex during the last day of the period?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

I was on combination pills for three consecutive months, but during the last month, I was not active, so I missed the last pill of the last pack. I got my period four days later. On the last day of my period, I had unprotected sex. I was worried, so precisely 70 hours later, I had a morning-after pill. I got my period again the next day, lasting for a few days. It has been a month since the start of my last period after the morning-after pill. Is there any chance I could be pregnant, or is it just the pills that have messed up my cycle? I took an at-home pregnancy test last week, and it was negative. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

Just relax. You are most probably not pregnant at this time. If you had unprotected sex during your period, the chance of pregnancy is not there. Just wait for a week, and repeat the urine pregnancy test. The cycle can be disturbed by irregular combination pills and morning-after pill use.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Thanks and regards.

Do you not think I should perhaps take a blood test?

#

Usually, a urine pregnancy test is sufficient for detecting pregnancy one week after the missing period. A blood test for pregnancy is also an option; a blood test can give good results one week before a urine pregnancy test. So if you do not want to wait, it is best to get a blood test. But the chances of pregnancy in your case are unlikely because you had unprotected sex during your safe period and also took an morning after-pill within 72 hours. So you can wait for a week.

Kind regards.

|