Q. Can I be pregnant even after three negative pregnancy tests?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

My last period was on the previous week of last month, and it ended three days later. I had unsafe sex two weeks later. Now my period is two days late. I use ovulation kits daily during each cycle. On the day of intercourse, I took three tests, and all were negative. I tested three days later, and all the tests were negative. Is there a chance of pregnancy?

Please help.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you.

To get pregnant, the sperm must be released inside the vagina of the female. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg which may or may not be available depending on the ovulation pattern of the female. Further, the fertilized egg is then required to be implanted in the female's uterus. When all this happens successfully, then a female is said to have conceived, and one of the signs is delayed periods or missed periods.

In your case, you have tested for ovulation, and tests have been negative, but in a few studies, the sperms have survived up to five days in a female body and have caused pregnancy, so I will recommend a urine pregnancy test or a blood test for you to check pregnancy.

Yes, there is a likelihood of pregnancy. Please check it on priority so that If it's negative, you can be stress-free, and if it is positive, then we can plan the next decision.

Thank you for answering.

I checked for ovulation consecutively for seven days after intercourse. On all days, I got a negative result. Is pregnancy still possible?

#

The thing is that you said you tested for ovulation for seven days consecutively. If you tested for nine days for ovulation, then the probability is very low for pregnancy but still since there is already a delay in period and if you have no history of irregular or delayed periods, then just take the test because otherwise you will continue to be in stress and further delay in periods will take place.

Do not worry; I am always there for you. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

I started my period last night.

Thank you so much for being so patient and understanding and explaining everything.

#

I have seen the image and details shared by you (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

I am happy to hear that you have started bleeding, and most likely it is a period, but my question is that the flow and quantity the same as your normal period or lesser? How many pads are you required to change? I want to be doubly sure that it is period and in the rare case also it is not implantation bleeding.

It is like regular flow and heavy as well. It started yesterday night. Still going on like a normal period changing two pads a day like I normally do.

#

It is good to know that the flow and intensity are the same, and you are changing two pads a day. It is a period and not implantation bleeding. There is nothing to worry about now.

|