Q. My pregnancy test shows a faint second line, but I have brown discharge and spotting. Can I be pregnant?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

My period has been delayed by approximately two weeks. I have checked with the pregnancy kit, which shows another very faint line. Also, I have very little light brown discharge and slight blood discharge. Are these pregnancy symptoms, or do they indicate something else?

Please help.

#

Welcome to iCliniq.com.

I read your query and can understand your concern.

In cases of a missed period, along with certain pregnancy signs like breast tenderness, nausea, etc., pregnancy can be ruled out by a urine pregnancy test or blood hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin - a hormone that is produced during pregnancy) test.

If the line appears faint, it might indicate a very early pregnancy, or some problems could have happened while doing the test. Generally, 14 days or more is considered the minimum time for a urine pregnancy test to get close to reliable results.

I suggest you repeat the urine pregnancy test with the first urine of the day or get a blood hCG test done.

I will be able to analyze it better if you could share an image of the tested kit.

Also, please provide details on the following;

1) Your menstrual history.

2) History of irregular periods if any.

3) When was the last intercourse?

4) If you are taking any medications? If so, what are the medications taken?

Please revert with the requested details to rule out the condition better.

Thank you for the reply.

Is it normal to have brown discharge and bleed a little if pregnancy is suspected?

#

Welcome back to iCliniq.com.

I can understand your concern.

To rule out the cause of the brown discharge and bleeding, menstrual history is required. Because if you have had regular periods till now and it has been around two weeks since intercourse, then it could be implantation bleeding; only if the bleeding is not like your usual period flow and there is only blood spotting or very little bleeding.

Also, please do not worry or stress about the color because the brown-colored discharge is primarily because some old blood is cleared.

|