Q. I found I am pregnant after eight weeks, until then, I was consuming alcohol. Kindly help me.

Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I just found out I am eight weeks and three days pregnant. I have been drinking lightly, but six to eight weeks and two days, I drank almost daily, ranging from one beer in a day to the heaviest days being multiple jello shots. I did not know I was pregnant. Is my baby okay? I am taking prenatal medication. In the ultrasound taken today at eight weeks and three days (although based on period eight weeks and one day), the heart rate is 162. Kindly guide me.

#

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy. I fully understand your concern and will surely help you.

Now coming to the fact that you were consuming alcohol as you were not aware of the fact that you are pregnant. So do not worry as worrying and taking stress is not good for you and will further complicate things. But yes, in early pregnancy, that is, first-trimester drinking can result in miscarriage, etc. Just stay happy now and focus on your and your baby's health.

Now coming to your fetal heart rate (FHR), which is nearly in the same range as FHR, it may go up to 170 as well by nine or ten weeks. This kind of FHR is fine in eight or nine or ten weeks of pregnancy.

Do not worry. I am always there for you. Take care of your health and eat healthily and sleep well. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information. I hope this was helpful.

So do you think since I have not miscarried, as long as I continue with good nutrition and prenatal Vitamins, my baby is fine. Kindly give your opinion.

#

There is no safe amount and safe time of having alcohol while being pregnant. Effects may include miscarriage, preterm labor, low birth weight, and also fetal alcohol syndrome if alcohol consumption throughout pregnancy. Ultrasound scan shows live fetus corresponding to your dates. But there is no way to find out the effect of alcohol on fetal cells at present. Hopefully, if you stop alcohol consumption and regular antenatal visits, the baby will be fine.

Continue your Vitamins and healthy diet and no alcohol consumption.

I hope this was helpful.

|