Q. Is it normal to experience cramps and pain during third week of pregnancy?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2019

I found out I am about three weeks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy, so I have no idea what is normal? I have lower abdominal pain, sort of like period cramps, but they more localized to the right side. Is this normal? ER stated they could not see anything on an ultrasound because it is too early in the pregnancy.

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You are right to be concerned. It can either be a normal pregnancy, or the pregnancy can be ectopic (in fallopian tubes) and thus should be further evaluated. Get a serum beta hCG levels done. It is a blood test that has to be done twice 48 hours apart. If the value doubles (or increases by 66 %), it is a normal pregnancy. If the growth is less than that, there are chances of ectopic pregnancy or missed abortion. Also, by the time the value of beta hCG is 2000 or more, the sac should be visible in the uterus (happens around four weeks or more). Please get the above investigations done and do not ignore the condition.

Serum beta hCG twice 48 hours apart. USG early pregnancy when hCG reaches 2000.

Ectopic pregnancy missed abortion

Normal intrauterine pregnancy.

Pregnancy support if required.

Do mild cramps, bleeding and lower back pain indicate miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and according to LMP, I am 9 weeks and 6 days pregnant now. I had three previous miscarriages (two chemical pregnancies and one at 5-6 weeks). This pregnancy has been really well until a few days ago. Last week I had an ultrasound and the heart rate was 173. That night,...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you are experiencing come under category of threatened abortion. The clinical diagnosis of threatened abortion is presumed when a bloody vaginal discharge or bleeding appears through a closed cervical os during the first half of pregnancy. Risk of threatened ...  Read Full

I am having cramps in my lower abdomen after taking I-pill. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female. I took an I-pill 12 days back, and since then I have a cramp in my lower abdomen. It feels as if I will get my periods, but still, I did not get it.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I-pill only makes the hormonal environment unsuitable for the embryo to get attached to the uterus lining. It makes the inner uterine lining thicker, which may not shed immediately. If you have never had a normal delivery before, your cervical opening will be very narr...  Read Full

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article