Q. What is the ventricular echogenic focus seen in pregnancy scan?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

My sister got her 22-week pregnancy scan, and a small left ventricular echogenic focus was noted. Please advice.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me tell you what is an echogenic focus is. It may be a calcium deposit, and it is commonly seen in the left ventricle of the heart in the prenatal second and third pregnancy ultrasounds.

It is a rare finding, and it does not show any adverse outcomes in the absence of other factors. It will not cause any harm to the heart, and it will not develop any problem with the development of a baby. But in the presence of other risk factors, the doctor performs these screening tests, like Down's syndrome screening. Otherwise, just the presence of an echogenic spot will not raise the chance of getting any chromosomal or genetic disorder.

| 

The Down's syndrome test was negative. I hope that there is nothing to worry.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Is bone marrow transplantation necessary in acute leukemia patient?

Query: Hello doctor, A 27-year-old female has acute leukemia (ALL). Her vision is lost because of the presence of malignant cells in the brain now but her treatment was finished six months back. Previously she got relapsed CSF 13 months back when her maintenance phase was going on. The doctor gave high do...  Read Full »

My 20 weeks scan mentions an echogenic focus in the heart. Is something wrong?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old female. I have had two miscarriages in the past, at the sixth and fifth week respectively. I am now 20 weeks pregnant. Recently, I had a level 2 ultrasound which suggested everything to be normal except for an echogenic focus on the left ventricle of the heart. No...  Read Full »