Q. I am using IUD. Is it normal to get thicker vaginal fluid during intercourse?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have had the Mirena IUD for about a year now. Recently I found my vaginal opening is getting rather tight and small. There is no pain or odor. Because of this, my partner feels difficult to have sex. This went on for almost two months now. When we did finally, my fluids were clear with lots of tissue-like substances. It looks like pieces of wet tissue paper. It appeared only during sex. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?

#

I do not see any reason for you to worry.

• Mirena is an IUD (intrauterine device), and it releases hormone progesterone for over the years. This hormone makes the inner lining of uterus thin and also the secretion thicker, whiter without odor or any other symptoms.
  • As you would have noted during the ovulation, the secretions become thin and watery, following which the secretions become thicker under the effect of progesterone. So, it is the natural change of a normal cycle.
  • As a solution, you can use some lubrication during sex or the estrogen cream a few hours before sex. It would relax the muscles and also make the secretions better.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|