Q. I stopped taking Progesterone tablet due to side effects. Will, it affect my pregnancy?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am currently 4 weeks 3 days pregnant. My first beta at 13 DPO was hCG 147 and progesterone 47. My doctor felt that progesterone suppositories would be beneficial for me due to previous early miscarriage. After taking the first dose of 200 mg within 6 to 7 hours, I started having heart palpitations, dizziness, headache, and extreme anxiety. My heart rate went up to 170. I decided not to take any other doses and feel much better now, 24 hours later. My question is, did I harm my pregnancy by taking that progesterone does and stopping it? Will I have a miscarriage because of that?

#

You experienced the most common side effects of progesterone tablets - headache, bloating, nausea, palpitations, and dizziness. The only way it can be countered is by increasing your daily water intake to 3 to 4 liters per day. In a dehydrated state, the symptoms can worsen. Though this progesterone is natural micronized progesterone and is the mainstay for supporting pregnancy, these symptoms are common in most women with a dehydrated state. It is unlikely that this episode should harm the pregnancy. However, you may get a serial beta hCG test at an interval of 48 hours, and if the rise is more than 65%, then you have an ongoing, growing pregnancy. Further, you may get a transvaginal ultrasound done to check for placentation and growth of the gestational sac.

Feel free to follow-up.

|