Q. My father has pain in the lower abdomen and also has some blood while urinating. Please help.

Dr. Ankush Jairath

My father started having some pain or pressure in his lower abdomen over the past month. These past few weeks, he had some blood while peeing. This week he got tested for it, and there were cancer cells. The doctor said either bladder, urethra, or kidney. The only other symptoms prior to this were he always had to pee, but that could be due to prostate issues. Can you shed some light on what cancer this may be? What are the treatments for it? Survival rates?

#

The treatment and the survival rate are based on the type of organ and stage of the tumor.

Get serum PSA (prostate-specific antigen), ultrasound abdomen to know the organ involved.

CT scan is required for proper staging.

Thanks.

Feel free to ask anything else you want.

Thanks for the response.

Can you summarize for me the survival rates at each stage?

#

For prostate cancer:

SEER stage 5-year relative survival rate

Localized-Nearly 100%.

Regional-Nearly 100%.

Metastatic-30%.

5-year relative survival rates for bladder cancer:

In situ alone Localized- 96% 69%.

Regional - 37%.

Distant-6%.

For urethral cancer, ten years survival rate is around 40%.

All above survival rates are based on proper treatment taken at that particular stage.

If your father is a smoker, then the most likely diagnosis is bladder cancer.

Thanks.

Feel free to ask if anything else you want to know.

|