Q. I am 60-year-old, and I have had grade 3 benign prostate enlargement for three years. Kindly help me.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am a 60-year-old male. I have had grade 3 benign prostate enlargement for three years. The latest abdomen USG and blood test (last month) shows prostrate 45 cc normal echoes, post-void urine 2 ml, no BPH symptoms, creatinine 1.4 mg/dl, PSA is 1.32 ng/ml, and free PSA 0.475 ng/ml. I have had hypertension and IgA nephropathy for the last ten years. I am currently under Cardace 10 mg, Stamlo 5 mg, Atorva 10 mg. No medication for enlarged prostate. Do I need to also do DRE and uroflowmetry to manage enlarged prostate? What is the risk of prostate cancer based on the above blood test and USG results? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

Enlarged prostate is a common problem as males cross 50 years of age normally prostate start to grow in size. But in the case of prostate size does not matter as some people with big prostate of 200 gms have no urine obstruction, and some people with a 20 gms prostate have urine obstruction. As far as you do not have obstruction symptoms no need for medications.

As far as prostate cancer is concerned no need to worry. The test reading is normal, and no risk of prostate cancer. The only thing for you to do is to have PSA (prostate-specific antigen) test once a year.

If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

I hope this was helpful.

|