Q. I have enlarged prostate. Is it safe to take Tamsulosin hydrochloride along with other medications?

I am a 68-year-old male. I have enlarged prostate. Currently, I am taking the following medication:

1. Lipitor (Atorvastatin) 20 mg - once in the evening.

2. Blopress (Candesartan) 16 mg - once in the morning and once in the evening.

3. Aspirin protect 100- once in the morning.

4. Cipralex (Escitalopram oxalate) 10 mg- once in the morning.

5. Esidrex (Hydrochlorothiazide) 25 mg - once in the morning.

6. Vitamin D 2000 IU - every other day.

Is it safe to take Tamsulosin hydrochloride 0.4 mg at night along with these medications?

#

It is usually safe to take this medication with other medications. However, the important concern is low blood pressure. As you are on other blood pressure-lowering medications, the addition of this may lead to excessive fall of blood pressure, especially for the first few times. So you need to take care in this aspect. Whenever you are taking this for the first time, make sure your blood pressure is not low (take preferably at more than 120 systolic reading). Monitor BP frequently subsequently and keep measures ready like ORS (oral rehydration solution) or salt+sugar+water if it falls. Once tolerated well, then there will be no issue. And usually well tolerated by most of the patients. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

|