Q. One of my prostates is enlarged with inflamed veins and sore to touch. Kindly suggest medication.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am a 35-year-old male. I weigh about 68 kg, and my height is 170 cm. I have prostate enlargement, One in normal size, and the other larger than normal. The larger one looks inflamed with lots of veins. It is painful on touch and while carrying heavy loads. Sometimes it is soft to touch with little pain.

Last year I got admitted to the hospital for both prostate enlargement. They did an ultrasound, and was treated with antibiotics for an infection. I got discharged when the prostate becomes smaller within seven days. After taking the prescribed medications, one becomes soft and normal, and the other is quite larger with inflamed veins. Kindly advise what to do in detail and medications needed.

#

At your age, prostate issues are mainly inflammation (prostatitis) or abscess (pus pocket in the prostate). Symptoms will be pain, increased urination frequency, difficulty in passing urine, and usually require long-term antibiotics of about six weeks.

Pus in the prostate depends on the size of the pocket. If it is more than 3 cm, then it needs to be drained in addition to antibiotics. But from the description, it does not look like a prostate abscess. We can diagnose prostatitis only after semen culture. After giving a semen sample for culture, you can start on tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for six weeks.

Follow up after culture results to see whether antibiotics need to be changed or not. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

|