Q. One of my prostates is enlarged with inflamed veins and sore to touch. Kindly suggest medication.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am a 35-year-old male. I weigh about 68 kg, and my height is 170 cm. I have prostate enlargement, One in normal size, and the other larger than normal. The larger one looks inflamed with lots of veins. It is painful on touch and while carrying heavy loads. Sometimes it is soft to touch with little pain.

Last year I got admitted to the hospital for both prostate enlargement. They did an ultrasound, and was treated with antibiotics for an infection. I got discharged when the prostate becomes smaller within seven days. After taking the prescribed medications, one becomes soft and normal, and the other is quite larger with inflamed veins. Kindly advise what to do in detail and medications needed.

#

At your age, prostate issues are mainly inflammation (prostatitis) or abscess (pus pocket in the prostate). Symptoms will be pain, increased urination frequency, difficulty in passing urine, and usually require long-term antibiotics of about six weeks.

Pus in the prostate depends on the size of the pocket. If it is more than 3 cm, then it needs to be drained in addition to antibiotics. But from the description, it does not look like a prostate abscess. We can diagnose prostatitis only after semen culture. After giving a semen sample for culture, you can start on tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for six weeks.

Follow up after culture results to see whether antibiotics need to be changed or not. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

| 

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

What is the reason for prostate enlargement in males above 50 years?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 54-year-old male, good health, good shape, who just got my PSA back from my doctor last week. Initially, he said my prostate felt a bit enlarged on the left side, so he ordered the test. The tests came back at 1.29. So he said all good and normal. No need to follow up with him ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»