Q. I have retrograde ejaculation and male incontinence. Is TRUP necessary?

Dr. Amit Arora

I am pretty sure that I have retrograde ejaculation because when I ejaculate it does not come out at the same moment of ejaculation, but it does come out seconds later and when I urinate there is some sperm. I also have male Incontinence and bedwetting problem since I was young and I am now 24 years old and a couple of times this year I found it hard to urinate, I felt like my bladder was numbed or something. So I went to a urologist and I had my testicles tested because I had pain there and thought it was the reason for all this. He gave me antibiotics I also did an ultrasound on my testicles and to check my kidney stones but everything was fine and after the antibiotics nothing change but the testicular pain.

My urologist said he wants to do a TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) but I do not know anything about the operation and he told me I will feel pain and I am scared of that but I also do not know why he wants to do this operation. I searched online and it says mercury retrograde might be from multiple sclerosis, week bladder muscle, problem with the nerves, a previous operation (does not apply to me) or medication side effect (does not apply to me).

So I am not sure what to do? I want to check for multiple sclerosis and also look at my bladder muscles? Could it be a problem in the prostate? And is TURP necessary? I want a urologist who really wants to find out what is with me instead of just doing a test and not listening to what I am saying and then tell me to come back a month later. I have more than one problem and I want to know what is causing all this?

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiology
#

I think that there is an obstruction in your prostate gland. Prostate gland store semen. That is why he wants to do this procedure. TURP stands for transurethral resection of the prostate. You must go for it. If you have further questions, do follow-up.

| 

Is TURP stands the same as cystoscopy? And how painful will it be? He said it will hurt thats why I am worried. How much time will it take to complete the procedure?

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiology
#

Cystoscopy is a procedure in which a small tube (endoscope) is inserted through your urethra up to urinary bladder to visualize the inner lining of the urinary bladder. They use lubricant anesthetic jelly-like Xylocaine and give sedation to reduce pain They visualize inside the urinary bladder to see any kind of disease or pathology. Cystoscopy which is for the urinary bladder is different from TURP.

In TURP they will visualize your prostate gland instead of the bladder and will check if there is any cause of obstruction or any kind of pathology and will correct it. Do not worry about the pain as this is not a very big procedure and they will use anesthetizing jelly and sedation to reduce pain. So do not worry and go for it.

| 

What are the possible causes for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 76 years old. I had an open radical prostatectomy about four months back. Today, I am completely incontinent. I do not smoke or drink. I do hiking and exercise daily. I also do the Kegel exercises faithfully. I have read several ways to do them and I can locate the sphincter mus...  Read Full »

How can I manage urinary urge and incontinence?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from urge and incontinence of urine for the past four years. My USG is showing first grade BPH with about 50 ml to 75 ml of PV retention of urine. PSA is within normal range. The routine urine examination also reveals nothing abnormal and on culture sample, found...  Read Full »

I am having low urine flow and pain in testicles after sex. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am worried about my prostate. Urine stream is low. Often going to the toilet. Can feel pain in testicles after sex.  Read Full »