Q. Can I have prostatitis even after the ultrasound being normal?

Dr. Vaibhav
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am a 21-year-old male. For the past 2 to 3 months, I have been experiencing a constant burning sensation in my urethra throughout the day, especially when I urinate. About six weeks into the symptoms, I went to my general physician and had my urine tested. My white blood cell count was raised, so I was put on a five-day course of Trimethoprim. I went back afterward, and my white blood cell count was back to normal. The pain did not cease, though. I then had an ultrasound done on my kidneys, liver, gallbladder, bladder, and prostate. All of them looked fine. As of yesterday, my white blood cell count is still at a normal level, but the pain is getting worse, and I cannot concentrate throughout the day at all as a result. I have no other symptoms (no discharge, no swelling, no blood in urine, etc.). I have pain in my right lower back that is probably unrelated as it started months prior to these problems.

#

Your symptoms can be related to prostate inflammation, called prostatitis. Sometimes in this condition, urine examination reports are normal. But symptoms of burning in the urethra, pain in the lower back, or perineum happens. You will need to meet a urologist for a proper prostatic examination and culture of urethral discharge after a prostatic massage. Antibiotics treatment for this problem needs to be prolonged, and chances of recurrence remain high.

Thank you for your reply.

Can this be the case even though the ultrasound on my prostate came back fine?

#

The ultrasound does not pick up a prostate infection. It just tells about the size of the prostate and the condition of the urinary bladder.

In prostate infection cases, ultrasound will be normal.

|