Q. Can supplements improve the condition of prostatitis?

Dr. Vaibhav Vishal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 26, 2022

I am a 44-year-old unmarried male suffering from prostatitis for two years. My height is 165 centimeters, and my weight is 45 kilograms. My problem is pain in the bladder and unable to empty the bladder fully. I have to go for every two hours to the bathroom to empty my bladder. I do not want to do surgery. My prostate is not enlarged much as per the last ultrasound. I did take some Doxycycline and Primothrem Tablets for three weeks when it started. But it came back, and now if I take a tablet, it makes me very tired.

I ask if I can use some natural remedies. Is it fine to take Zinc Picolinate 50 mg every day? I would like your advice on what supplements to take other than surgery. Ultrasound showed everything normal except prostate enlargement to 32 cc.

#

Prostatitis is a problem that has a tendency to reoccur; even after a complete cure, it does reoccur in almost everyone. Trigger factors like stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, and urine infection can aggravate the symptoms of prostatitis. Prostatitis is not usually treated with surgery, and seeing your sonography report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), I do not feel there is a need for any surgery for prostatitis. If your prostatitis is recurring, then prostatic or urethral discharge culture is helpful (prostatic secretion is collected after prostatic massage by a urologist doctor) that helps to diagnose the severity of the problem and also helps to decide on antibiotics course.

Antibiotics course needs to be started again along with other medications called alpha-blockers and anti-inflammatory medicine. For these medications, you will need to get in touch with a local urologist. Vitamin supplements are usually not very effective in prostatic cures in my clinical experience.

|