Q. I have urethral inflammation and frequent urination after carbonated drinks and after masturbation. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2021

I masturbated after a long gap of two months. After drinking a carbonated drink two days later, my urethra felt inflamed, and I had frequent urination. I got antibiotics (Cefdinir TMX) for ten days, and it went away a little bit. Then, I had another carbonated drink, and the same thing happened again. I am 24 years old and recently had molluscum. My blood panel for STD came out to be negative, and bacteria were present in the urine sample, which I got four days after starting the antibiotics.

#

From your history, I can say that you might be having chronic prostatitis. Diagnosis can be made only by semen culture. There is no need to hold from masturbating. Frequent masturbation is required to treat chronic prostatitis. I suggest you do a semen culture test and follow up with results to advise you on an antibiotic that you should take atleast four weeks.

Regarding carbonated drinks, I do not think it has any relationship with the prostate. However, it can cause frequency and urgency in urination, mainly affecting the bladder rather than the prostate. Anyways carbonated drinks are not healthy. I recommend stopping it. Pure drinking water is the best. If you have any more queries, please let me know.

Kind regards.

|